Attention readers: On Monday, March 20th, traffic from the older k8s.gcr.io registry will be automatically redirected to registry.k8s.io with the eventual goal of sunsetting k8s.gcr.io. If you think you will be impacted by this change, please see k8s.gcr.io Redirect to registry.k8s.io - What You Need to Know under Community News. Please stop using k8s.gcr.io before the April 3rd deadline.
For this edition of the newsletter, we’ve purposely included several resources, including a few that have appeared in the newsletter previously, that help explain how CPU sharing works on Kubernetes/Linux. This is an important topic to understand because CPU requests/limits can directly impact application performance, cluster utilization, compute costs, and scaling behavior.
New AWS services and features
New AWS blogs
- Disaster Recovery When Using Crossplane for Infrastructure Provisioning on AWS
- This blog explores different options for backing up Kubernetes resources when using GitOps and Crossplane for infrastructure provisioning. It specifically looks at what you should do when you need to bring up a new cluster after the control plane fails, how to restore resources in a different AWS region, and what to do when a resource managed by Crossplane fails.
- Validating OpenTelemetry Configuration Files with the otel-config-validator
- A new validation tool has been co-developed by AWS and Lightstep to verify the syntax of the OTEL configuration files.
- KB Article: How do I plan an upgrade strategy for an Amazon EKS cluster?
- Best practices for those who are looking at upgrading their EKS clusters
New videos and webinars
- Building Internal Developer Platforms (IDPs) with Crossplane and Flux
- Introducing Amazon EKS Anywhere on Snow
- Multi-tenant Kubernetes observability with Prometheus
- k8s.gcr.io Registry Update
- k8s.gcr.io Redirect to registry.k8s.io - What You Need to Know
- k8s.grc.io Image Registry Will Be Frozen From the 3rd of April 2023
- Find clusters that are referencing images from the old registry with this Krew plugin
- Kyverno and OPA/Gatekeeper policies for detecting images that use k8s.gcr.io
- New Registry url for Kubernetes (registry.k8s.io)
- CPU Limits
- Can ChatGPT be used to write Kyverno policies?
- Answer: kind of…
- U-2 Federal Lab achieves flight with Kubernetes
- Kubernetes was used to run advanced machine learning algorithms without any negative effects on the aircraft’s flight or mission systems.
- As interesting/scary as this is, this is not the first time Kubernetes has been used in a US warplane. In 2019, the Airforce gave a session at Kubecon about running Kubernetes in a F-16 .
- Terraform on AWS EKS Kubernetes IaC SRE- 50 Real-World Demos
- Why and when do you need Argo CD?
- Are your helm charts D.R.Y.?
- CNCF accepts KubeVela as an incubation project
- A step closer: In-place Pod Vertical Scaling